Gerard Butler Movie Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gerard Butler Movie Madness

www.gbmoviemadness.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SDCC] ‘300’ MOVIE PANEL

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dagmar
Organizer
Dagmar

Number of posts : 1486
Registration date : 2006-01-06

SDCC] ‘300’ MOVIE PANEL Empty
PostSubject: SDCC] ‘300’ MOVIE PANEL   SDCC] ‘300’ MOVIE PANEL Clockau3Wed 16 Aug - 12:16

SDCC] ‘300’ MOVIE PANEL

Director and cast of the graphic novel adaptation talk at SDCC
By Mike Cotton

Posted July 22, 2006 4:40 PM

When Zach Snyder began work on the adaptation of Frank Miller’s 300 graphic novel, some said he should make it more “Hollywood,” some said it was too bloody and violent—Snyder had one reply: nope.

“The whole thing about 300 is that when we talked about making the movie, we said let’s do that; let’s do what’s in the book,” said Snyder during the San Diego panel to promote the film on Saturday. “We said, let’s not f--- it up Hollywood-style.”

Joined on stage by stars Gerard Butler and David Werham, as well as Miller, Snyder showed off an early look at the film that was bloody, violent, unflinchingly stylized and visually stunning. The clip was so well received that the crowed begged to see it again immediately.

“As you can see, we were going for something warm and fuzzy,” joked Snyder before playing the clip again. “It’s a family thing.”

The story of 300 Spartans fighting off a Persian invading army is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most heroic tales ever told, and Miller’s graphic novel became a must-read comic book for history buffs and geeks alike when it was originally published as a miniseries by Dark Horse comics.

While Miller co-directed the “Sin City” film with Robert Rodriguez, he said this adaptation is purely in the hands of one director.

“This is Zach’s movie,” admitted Miller. “This is all his. Watching an early cut of this movie, I was struck by the fact that this feels like a very contemporary story. Zach did a terrific job.”

Butler—who plays the Spartan king—says even six months after filming wrapped, he’s still recovering from the hardcore training the cast went through to get into the shape of the Spartan warriors.

“I’m still recovering from the training from this film,” said Butler. “I was pretty much a cripple when I left. I haven’t been back to the gym since we wrapped filming.”

“It was physically exhausting at first, but then you got used to that and it became mentally exhausting,” added Werham, who plays the King’s closest friend and storyteller of the final battle.

In a day and age where huge blockbusters such as “Superman Returns” and “Batman Begins” dominate, Snyder said that wasn’t at all what they were going for with “300.” Instead, they wanted a story that simply sank the viewer into a bloody, deadly world.

“We weren’t trying to make Superman, Batman or Fantastic Four,” said Snyder. “We wanted to see what was cool about the graphic novel and bring that to the screen. Since this is an R-rated movie, it’s hardcore. It’s not cute.”

While the film is geared towards men with an obvious brutal edge, the panel was packed with female fans of Butler, who admitted he tiny cod piece costume didn’t leave much to the imagination.

“I’ve never felt so stupid in my life when I had to put on that… what do you call it…a thong?” joked the actor. “No, a leather cod piece… after a couple days you get used to it, though. Especially as there are 60 other guys around you.”

When asked about whether comics and graphic novels have gained more respect in Hollywood, Snyder wrapped up by saying, “I think that Hollywood’s found that the graphic novels don’t have to be fixed, they just need to be filmed.”

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/threehundred/001059392.cfm
Back to top Go down
http://www.gbmoviemadness.com

SDCC] ‘300’ MOVIE PANEL
Page 1 of 1