Gerard Butler Movie Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gerard Butler Movie Madness

www.gbmoviemadness.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SDCC 06: THE 300 MOVIE PANEL

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dagmar
Organizer
Dagmar

Number of posts : 1486
Registration date : 2006-01-06

SDCC 06: THE 300 MOVIE PANEL Empty
PostSubject: SDCC 06: THE 300 MOVIE PANEL   SDCC 06: THE 300 MOVIE PANEL Clockau3Mon 24 Jul - 12:32

by Daniel Robert Epstein

Many of the main forces behind the film adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novel, 300, were trotted out early Saturday at San Diego Comic-Con, including Miller himself, Gerard Butler, David Wenham, and director Zach Snyder.

Snyder began the panel by introducing the special teaser trailer that was put together exclusively for San Diego. From his viewpoint, Snyder noted, he felt that some of the special effects weren’t fully finished, including a scene with an attacking rhino. The clip, utilizing music by Nine Inch Nails, included some of the highlights from the graphic novel turned film, such as Leonidas defeating the wolf, the pit that the messenger was kicked into, and the arrows darken the sky. Even some things that were added into the movie that weren’t in the GN such as a giant man with swords for arms and horned animals plowing through soldiers. Surprisingly this was an R-rated trailer including heads floating after being severed from their bodies, and nudity in extreme sex scenes. After it ran Butler called for it to be played again causing much glee.

The long Q & A started off with a question for Snyder asking him why he made the movie look so much like the graphic novel, to which Snyder replied “I have ideas of my own. But this is a really cool book and I wanted to do it right and not ____ it up Hollywood style.” Miller chimed in, noting that much of the background work was done by [his longtime collaborator] Lynn Varley.

Miller got his first question of the morning when he was asked if he co-directed this film as he did with Sin City. Miller immediately said that it was Snyder’s movie.

Throngs of young women were quickly tossing questions at Butler and Wenham with Butler being asked how he related to the sacrifice of Leonidas. Butler had this to say:

“For me it was a sacrifice to prepare and train. This was a hard shoot; I ripped hip flexors and felt like a cripple by the end of the shoot. We had a team spirit on this shoot. We were all willing to die for each other and at times ready to kill. It is an inner world where you must learn to dominate. To play a king you must learn to get respect from the cast and crew. I had four different trainers for this film which goes a long way to being a king. Plus, I learned from Zach because he is a real general. Also with Leonidas being extremely intelligent, charismatic, and insane that I had to learn to play those things because I am none of that. But I am determined and uncompromising. This role has been my most fascinating.”

Wenham and Butler were asked about their costumes or lack of costumes that caused hoots and catcalls from the audience. Butler said that at first, he never felt as stupid as walking around wearing a leather codpiece, but once you’re around 60 guys wearing them as well, you get used to it quickly. But, Butler said, it was really the capes that caused him the most trouble and he felt that these soldiers must have gotten killed often, when they would get their swords caught on their heavy capes.

Asked if he was familiar with the graphic novel, Wenham said that as soon as he found out that he got the role, he picked up a copy of the graphic novel and saw that his character was naked nearly the entire time aside for what? A leather codpiece of course.

Miller was asked about his research for 300, as the person asking had not read 300 yet, but Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield and wondered if that book came into his research. Miller replied that he had wanted to do this story since he was six years old and he did a lot of research, but that it was just a coincidence that Pressfield’s book and 300 came out around the same time.

Snyder was asked where and how long did it take to film and responded with, “It took 60 days in Montreal because it was the obvious play to recreate ancient Greece.” Wenham said that it was tough for him to believe that he was going to have to wear a leather codpiece in Montreal in the middle of winter.

Butler was asked what it was like to work extensively with CGI, in that much of the background was not physically present, to which he replied that he found it very difficult to imagine giant cliffs and huge armies but he trusted his director. Even though Butler said that it is not as fulfilling for an actor in some ways, it makes it easier because you can get to any set very easily.

The entire panel was then posed with the question of since there are hetero scenes will there be any male-on-male action and Miller said “No, this is fiction.”

Miller was then asked about his trip to Greece for research and Miller said that without his trip to Greece and his understanding that they used their landscape and the ocean to fight their enemies he wouldn’t have been able to do the book. But the Hot Gates are much different now, Miller noted, because there is a freeway alongside them.

The two actors on the panel were asked what was the most rewarding part of the film, and both quipped, “Getting paid,” But Wenham followed up with, “The opportunity to work with a great cast and crew and with a director like Zach who is always calm made it very rewarding. But truly the best part was getting to work for a true legend like Frank Miller.”

Butler said “I was also excited to work with Frank Miller. I got excited about this project after a meeting with Zach in a coffeehouse where we were both jumping around talking about Leonidas.”

Snyder was asked his first question about the official soundtrack “Since NIN was used as music for the exclusive trailer, what kind of music will be in the film?” The director said that he wants the film to rock and roll since it rocks. Miller doesn’t want to the movie to be some dusty old relic and that the film feels timeless but contemporary and that the soldiers move like superhumans.

Snyder was asked about how difficult it is to surprise audiences and compete with movies like Batman Begins and Spider-Man. Snyder said that this isn’t Superman or Batman, it is Frank Miller’s book and that he just tried to make it cool on a day to day basis. Miller said that he is sick and tired of being reassured by today’s movies such as, how many times can Harry Potter be cheered by his classmates.

Then as a last hurrah, the audience demanded that they get to see the teaser trailer again. With much foot-stomping the audience went crazy.

300 opens in 2007
Back to top Go down
http://www.gbmoviemadness.com

Page 1 of 1