Gerard Butler Movie Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gerard Butler Movie Madness

www.gbmoviemadness.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Greek tragedy...gets a lighter touch in '300'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dagmar
Organizer
Dagmar

Number of posts : 1486
Registration date : 2006-01-06

Greek tragedy...gets a lighter touch in '300' Empty
PostSubject: Greek tragedy...gets a lighter touch in '300'   Greek tragedy...gets a lighter touch in '300' Clockau3Sun 21 Jan - 12:24

Daily Bulletin.com(Ontario,California)

January 20,2007

by Glenn whipp

Fun and the Battle of Thermopylae would seem to be opposing notions, given that the last-stand engagement between 300 Spartans and 1 million invading Persians in 480 B.C. doesn't exactly end well for the Greeks.
But with "300," director Zack Snyder aims to put a little looseness back into the sword-and-sandals genre, much in the same way that Frank Miller ("Sin City") did with his graphic novel of the same name.

"Swords-and-sandals is a deadly serious genre," says Snyder, who directed the successful 2004 remake of George Romero's classic zombie movie "Dawn of the Dead."

"Don't get me wrong. There's some heavy material here — 300 Spartans fighting against a million Persians, death, grief, inspiration. But Frank Miller's novel has an unapologetic wit and sarcasm that's a breath of fresh air. I wanted to show that swords-and-sandals is not always history on steroids, but about having fun at the movies."

Snyder worked hard to maintain the look of Miller's graphic novel, filming many shots as frame-by-frame re-creations of the book's panels. The movie, due March 9, was filmed almost entirely on a Montreal soundstage with Snyder going back later to fill in the missing pieces with digital effects.

The results, needless to say, differ markedly from Wolfgang Petersen's "Troy."

"The Internet crowd has labeled it 'Sin City' meets 'Gladiator.' "

Snyder says, "I think Ridley Scott reintroduced the sword-and-sandals movie to a new generation. It was a modern film — melodramatic, sure, but fresh.

"But after 'Troy' and 'Alexander,' you have to ask the question: 'Now what?' " Snyder continues. "And for me, the answer was all about tone. Frank Miller told me he remembered seeing (1962 movie) 'The 300 Spartans' and asking his dad midway through, 'Are the good guys going to die?' 'Yes, son, they are.' That changed what he thought a hero was.

"When I hear a story like that, it's my responsibility not to get in the way of the experience he had."

http://www.dailybulletin.com/entertainment/ci_5046304
Back to top Go down
http://www.gbmoviemadness.com

Page 1 of 1