Gerard Butler Movie Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gerard Butler Movie Madness

www.gbmoviemadness.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pirates of the Carabeans: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Braya
Organizer
Braya

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2006-01-06

Pirates of the Carabeans: Dead Man's Chest (2006) Empty
PostSubject: Pirates of the Carabeans: Dead Man's Chest (2006)   Pirates of the Carabeans: Dead Man's Chest (2006) Clockau3Sun 30 Jul - 13:42

Pirates of the Carabeans: Dean Man's Chest

starring Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly

A must see!!! Although, I suggest you watch the first one before hand. When they made this one, they assumed we've all seen the Curse of the Black Pearl. For course, I watch it when it came out. lol But, although I watched the first one a million times, I wished I had watched it one last right before I saw the sequel. The problem, which not really a problem, is that they do not explain things from the first one that lingers through the sequel. Still, its an amazing movie!! I cannot waite for the third one!!

Braya

Last edited by on Sun 30 Jul - 13:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gbmoviemadness.com
Braya
Organizer
Braya

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2006-01-06

Pirates of the Carabeans: Dead Man's Chest (2006) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirates of the Carabeans: Dead Man's Chest (2006)   Pirates of the Carabeans: Dead Man's Chest (2006) Clockau3Sun 30 Jul - 13:45

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
By Joe Williams
POST-DISPATCH FILM CRITIC
07/07/2006

Just ask the producers of "The Haunted Mansion": No one goes to see a movie because it's based on an amusement park ride. The chief reason the first "Pirates of the Caribbean" struck gold was because Johnny Depp created an irresistible character: a flamboyant rascal, Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley added a romantic subplot, and director Gore Verbinski stocked the galley with a powderkeg of special effects, but it was the Oscar-nominated Depp who steered the ship to the box-office treasure chest.

Because this sequel is now the flagship of the corporate armada, Disney has hedged its bets, fortifying the movie with an extra payload of horror and spectacle.

Running 2 1/2 hours, it ought to sink from the weight of the cargo. But it's buoyed by another high-wire performance from Depp, stoked by imaginative effects and propelled by Verbinski's comedic pacing. With even the lovebirds pulling more of their weight, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" is the most rousing Hollywood entertainment in many a year.

On the day of their Caribbean wedding, erstwhile pirates Will and Elizabeth (Bloom and Knightley) are arrested for having helped Jack escape the island in the first movie. Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander), the villainous toady of the East India Co., offers to drop the charges if Will can retrieve Jack and his magical compass, which points to a fabled treasure. After Will sets sail, Elizabeth follows, disguised as a cabin boy on a merchant ship.

Aboard the Black Pearl, when Jack tells the motley crew what they're after, the head-scratching is worthy of a Monty Python movie. But in the ship's bowels, there's a crusty old crewman with a word of warning. He's Bootstrap Bill (Stellan Skarsgard), Will's presumed-dead father. Like Jack, Bill sold his soul to Davy Jones in exchange for a life of adventure, and the barnacled Bill warns Jack that it's time to pay up.

First a tribe of cannibals also wants a piece of Jack, and Will arrives in time for an impossibly complicated and zany getaway that's as close to a live-action Looney Tunes as you'll ever see. But the mood grows macabre when they're nabbed by the undead Davy Jones (Bill Nighy, with a tentacled face that's like something out of "Star Wars"). He's willing to let Jack go free in exchange for 100 souls. So the duplicitous dandy sails for Tortuga to round up the dregs of the earth, while Will is kept hostage on a ghost ship full of crustaceous human hybrids.

In a saucy Tortuga bar that's a direct homage to the amusement-park ride, Elizabeth is reunited with her old beau, Norrington (Jack Davenport), who has sneaky reasons of his own to find the locker. When all the interested parties finally converge on a remote beach, the wind shifts again and the movie reverts to a farce - before a finale that makes "Moby Dick" look like a puppet show.

Grade: A-

Source: www.rottentomatoes.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.gbmoviemadness.com

Pirates of the Carabeans: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
Page 1 of 1