Gerard Butler Movie Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gerard Butler Movie Madness

www.gbmoviemadness.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS A LOOK AT 300

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dagmar
Organizer
Dagmar

Number of posts : 1486
Registration date : 2006-01-06

WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS A LOOK AT 300 Empty
PostSubject: WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS A LOOK AT 300   WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS A LOOK AT 300 Clockau3Fri 28 Jul - 12:24

Comic Con: Adam's Report 3

Posted By: Adam Mast
Posted On: Thu Jul 27th, 2006

ADAM'S COMIC-CON REPORT #3

Featuring a look at 300

I know I know – most of you are wondering, WHERE THE HELL IS REPORT #2! The truth is, The Boneman did such a damn fine job on his second report that I figured I'd put up my third report before I put up my second. So here it is and it's quite the doozy! As fate would have it, Comic-Con unloaded the big guns on Day 3. So much cool stuff in fact, that I'm having to break up Day 3 into two parts.

JULY 22ND

So if you read The Boneman's second report, you already know that he's officially achieved nerd status by doing something that I've done on many occasion. Following a midnight screening of The Descent, we made our way back to the car. As we walked by the convention center, however, we noticed people already lined up for Hall H (the biggest showroom at Comic-Con) – for events that wouldn't take place until nine hours later. Without much hesitation, The Boneman and I looked at each other and at virtually the same time – with big, dopey grins on our faces no less–we said; "Fuck it." We're here to have a fun time. With that, we ran to the car, got some chairs, and got in line with the two other folks who were already there. Of course, Tyler and Thomas weren't down with this. They wanted sleep. "Fuck sleep!" I told them. "We can sleep later. This is muthafuckin' Comic-Con beeotch!!!" Alright. Maybe I didn't use those exact words, but I was certainly thinking them. After chilling in the line for a while, we decided to run Tyler and Thomas to the hotel. We knew if we didn't, Tyler would have his sweet vengeance on us. Upon getting back, we roughed it right there on the sidewalk. It kicked ass. I had immediate Star Wars line flashbacks. It was just a killer time.

What's more we had a great time conversing with the other folks in line. The lady in front of us had just arrived to San Diego the night before. She got in line for Hall H about an hour before we got there. Eager to find out what she was into, I began asking her if she was there for Spider-Man 3, Kevin Smith, or 300. I figured it had to be for one of those three. I was wrong. She told me she was there for Gerard (actually, she refers to him as Gerry) Butler. Knowing that Mr. Butler is the lead in the upcoming film 300 (he also starred in Joel Schumacher's screen adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera), I said; "Oh. So you're here for 300". She said; "No, I'm here for Gerry Butler". As it turned out, she was indeed there for Gerard Butler. It seems Mr. Butler has legions of hardcore fans (mostly female) and this gal in line was part of a fan club or something. It wasn't long before other women started showing up for the very same reason. Before dawn, there were at least thirty rabid Gerard Butler fans surrounding us leading The Boneman to affectionately refer to these ladies as Gerry's Kids. Hilarious! You can always count on The Boneman to bring the funny.

Anyway, we knew if we were going to get good seats in Hall H once they finally opened the doors, we'd have to scratch and claw for them. It didn't matter that we were second and third in line. It would be a battle to the death. Ultimately, there was no challenge. It was actually a pretty laid back affair. Everyone was cool, particularly Gerry's Kids. As we entered Hall H after eight hours of chilling on the side walk, The Boneman and I found ourselves two comfortable seats on the front row – dead center. In the end, the wait was well worth it. Sure, we probably could have pleaded for press box seats, but seriously–waiting in line was half the fun. As it turns out, the excitement was yet to come. The day would bring the three coolest film reels we could hope for.

I was familiar with 300 as a movie. I hadn't read Frank Miller's graphic novel, but following the success of Sin City, it was clear that Miller's properties would be finding their way to the big screen. 300 would be next out of the box. Helming the ambitious project would be Zack Snyder, an individual who won over a pretty hostile crowd with his remake of Dawn of the Dead. I wasn't a huge fan of his Dawn, but it certainly didn't suck. At the very least, it's showed Snyder to be a visionary with a world of potential. If the footage we saw from the upcoming 300 was any indication, he may very well have surpassed that potential.

300 is a fantastical fantasy adventure taking place in 480 B.C., and features the events that would lead Spartan King Leonidas and his royal guard of 300 to battle one of the most fierce armies of Persia.

The three minute footage reel featured very little dialogue. It was mostly a montage of spectacular imagery set to the audio background of a Nine Inch Nails song. Visually, the film incorporates some of the same effects techniques that brought Sin City to life, but there is something much more organic about the 300 universe. While much of the footage seemed grounded in reality (think Gladiator) the film does appear to cross over into fantasy terrain. There are creatures galore and buckets of blood, plus for the ladies–there's plenty of muscular dudes running around in cod pieces. Gerry's kids were frothing at the mouth.

I have to say. I was simply blown away by what I saw. No words can really describe it. 300 truly looks like an otherworldly experience and I can't wait to see the movie.

Following the footage reel, the fans were introduced to the panel; Frank Miller, Zack Snyder, David Wenham, and – put your hands over your ears – Gerard Butler. Seriously folks, when Butler hit the stage, I thought I was at a Beatles concert or something. It was awe inspiring. This guy has the power. I'd like to be his friend so I can share the spoils of his power.

The panel was very interesting, particularly when Frank Miller was speaking. It's great to see him involved in movies again. After being burned by the Hollywood process (most notably during the making of Robocop 2), it was thought that he'd never allow his stuff on the big screen again. Thankfully, Robert Rodriguez convinced him that some folks do care about his material. Miller did reveal that unlike Sin City, he would not be involved in directing 300. He said that it's Snyder's show, but he certainly looked pleased with the way the project was coming along. Based on the footage shown, I'd say the project is in very good hands. If I have any gripe at all, it's that we have to wait until next year to see 300 in it's entirety.

http://www.zboneman.com/news/Comic-Con-Adams-Report-3-20344.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.gbmoviemadness.com

Page 1 of 1