Gerard Butler Movie Madness
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gerard Butler Movie Madness

www.gbmoviemadness.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Russell disapproves of Butler in Escape remake

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dagmar
Organizer
Dagmar

Number of posts : 1486
Registration date : 2006-01-06

Russell disapproves of Butler in Escape remake Empty
PostSubject: Russell disapproves of Butler in Escape remake   Russell disapproves of Butler in Escape remake Clockau3Thu 22 Mar - 11:49

Film Stalker.co.uk

March 22,2007

by Richard Brunton

Kurt Russell has spoken out about the remake of the cult classic Escape From New York and his words are not exactly full of praise. In fact they are rather damning.

He doesn't like the idea of the Scottish Gerard Butler taking over the character he made famous, and he definitely doesn't like the idea of some of his early roles being remade.

Here's some of his rather harsh comments about the remake of Escape:

"...I will say that when I was told who was going to play Snake Plissken, my initial reaction was ''Oh, man!'' [Russell winces]. I do think that character was quintessentially one thing. And that is, American...
...People come up to me and say, ''You played Snake Plissken.'' I didn't play Snake Plissken, I created him!...I did Wyatt Earp — there's only been 50 of those. But I'll tell you what, I'll put my Wyatt Earp up against anybody's. I'll put my MacCready [his character in The Thing] up against anybody's.

When Entertainment Weekly asked him if he would do a cameo in the film he immediately turned down the notion:

F--- that! I am Snake Plissken! It's like Sean Connery always watching someone else do their version of Bond.
Still, he has some good things to say about the film, but his version again:

It's a quiet, dark world and it revolved around watching the behavior of this one guy. He's a fascinating character. In fact, he's the most complex character I've ever played.
You know, part of me thinks he's right. Escape From New York should not be remade, it really is of a time, a role and a specific actor. However, never say never because I'm sure there are ways it could work.

I think we'll have to wait and see, but it is fair to say that Russell will not be waiting, seeing or starring in the remake at all.

http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2007/03/russell_disapproves_of_butler.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.gbmoviemadness.com

Page 1 of 1